Graham Likes To Make Things

FREELANCER • PRODUCT DESIGN • PROTOTYPING • 3D PRINTING
Product Design

Faze Speakers 3D Printed

Time for another fun 3D print project! You may have seen my speaker renderings, well this is about bringing the Faze 5’s to life. I made 3 sets in total, using my favorite filaments from Faberdashery. I take my hat off to these guys, their filaments are the best of the best when it comes to appearance and print quality. I wouldn’t recommend Faberdashery for mechanical or load-bearing parts as they are very brittle, but if you want a beautiful finish straight off the print bed then they are the one. I only made the colored casings from Faberdashery (Mercury Red, Bling Bling Gold and Galaxy Blue), the chrome looking parts were just standard Makerbot PLA with a lot of additional work, which will be explained.

I started with the most difficult part first – the front grill. Not only difficult because of the complex interlink mesh design, but I wanted it (and all the other bits) to look like a real chrome finished metal part.

And here’s the first attempt. Pretty horrible right? It took me weeks to get it right, constantly modifying the design so the grill prints better, sanding it smooth with many different grades of paper, then spray painting, just to find out it wasn’t good enough. Eventually I got there though,  process was was follows;

Sand the parts smooth, starting with a coarse grit and working your way up to fine grit. I don’t remember the grades I used now, but by the end of it the parts had no visible layers, super silky smooth isn’t completely necessary though since spray paint will resolve the finer defects. I found it much better to sand them while submerging them in lukewarm water, otherwise the PLA forms a layer on the sand paper making it quickly loose it’s effectiveness. It also stops PLA dust spreading everywhere.

Wet sanded bits, yay! Now they need to be dried thoroughly prior to spraying. An oven on a very low temperature for a few hours would probably do the job, unfortunately my oven at the time was terrible and it’s lowest temperature was about 100C, meaning my parts shrank and warped significantly. Instead what I did is put a thin layer of Calcium Sulphate (very good desiccant) in a large Tupperware box, put a few sheets of kitchen roll on top, place all the bits on the kitchen roll and seal it up for 24 hours, seemed to do the trick quite well.

I probably used more plastic in jigs to spray my parts rather than the parts themselves, but it’s definitely worth doing.

Mission accomplished, results are pretty dang nice if I do say so myself. Now I know it’s safe to start printing with the rather expensive Faberdashery! Starting with the power/volume control.

Just look how beautiful that prints. 

Power switch, volume pot and led indicator all bonded into place with epoxy.

Controls assembled, now for the actual speaker housings.

Rear plate with power board bonded in

Legs screwed in and main case clipped on

The final results…

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *